A “How to Post” Page
Welcome to “Friends of HCAS”
You must be registered with the site in order to post. Please email Nancy (email@example.com) with your name, email address, and how you are involved with the shelter so I can get you set up.
HOW TO ‘POST’
1. At the bottom of the Home Page, you will see a box marked “Log in” and “Dashboard” In order to participate by making your own ‘post’, you must first log in. (Click on “Log In”). If anyone who has not registered leaves a comment, it will go through the “approval” process first, then will show up generally within 24 hours. Everyone will be registered with their first and last name. ( Make sure you use the space between ) Once that is completed, enter your password. Once you wish to ‘post’..head for the bottom of the page again and click on “Dashboard”. That will take you to the ‘posting’ area.
2. On the left side of your Dashboard screen you will see “Add New” under the “Post” title. Click that.
3. You should now be in the ‘posting’ area.
A. Enter the ‘title’ of your post. Your choice..whatever may be related to the topic you are posting about.
B. Proceed to the empty white box, which is where the content of your ‘post’ will go. Please notice you have spell check, and many other options from which to choose to construct your post. AND, if you want more, click on the little “color palette”, which will open more options to you. This you will just have to play around with until you become comfortable…assuming you want to be a little more ‘creative’, opposed to just basic font, etc. (You will also notice to ‘tabs’..one marked “Visual” and one marked “HTML”..it is probably better to post with the ‘Visual’ tab open)
4. To the left of this page, there are “Categories”. Please check whatever ‘category’ your post may be more related to. This will be of great help when you come to the site searching for specific topics. You can find out what that means by clicking on any of the “Category” topics…you will see it will take you to ALL posts regarding that topic. IF you feel that your post doesn’t have a suitable ‘category’, please use ‘uncategorized’ and if necessary contact me, and I can add a new category.
5. Farther down on the posting page, you will see it ask if your ‘post’ is an “Event”. Please check whatever box is suitable. This will play a great role in the future when the actual ‘Calendar’ is up and running.
6. Moving on down to the end of the posting page, you will also see the topic “Discussion” This means that you want to allow people to ‘comment’ on your post, from the ‘comment link’ on every post. If you want conversation to be opened up on your specific post, leave ‘comments allowed’ checked. Otherwise, click ‘no comments’.
7. Once you have completed your mission of posting, look to the top right of the posting page. You will have an option to “Preview” your post, and then, if all is well…click on “Publish”…and WA LA! Your post should show up on the rolling blog on the Home Page. (And of course, if you just royally mess up, you will notice a “Move to Trash” area..self explanatory…
YOU WILL SEE OTHER ‘TOPICS’ ON THIS PAGE THAT SHOULD NOT BE OF ANY INTEREST TO YOU. PLEASE JUST PASS THEM BY.
HOW TO ‘COMMENT’ ON A ‘POST’
1. At the top of each post you will see ‘ …..COMMENT’.. Click on that and it will take you to a posting box where you may enter any comment you wish to make about that particular post. ( If no one has commented on that particular post, it may say “No Comment”…otherwise it will say “1 Comment” or however many comments that post may contain.
HOW TO UPLOAD PICTURES ETC.
1. Above your dashboard panel, you will see “Upload/Insert”..Hover over the icons with your cursor and you will see your options. From there it should be somewhat self-explanatory. Just follow the steps.
**THESE ARE BASIC INSTRUCTIONS. For those who may want to be more ‘creative’..well..GO FOR IT! And, for those who want to simply ‘post’….ignore all the other stuff.
If you need any assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me via email. I will help as much as I can.